These lemon bars are my hands down favorite bar cookie. Their yummy sweet, tart and sunny yellow goodness scream summer to me. Though I eat them year round, many fun summer days growing up and playing at my grandparents involved my favorite treat. I simply love, Love, LOVE them!
This recipe is my favorite, and you will find it very easy as well! An insider tip…the corners are incredible!
Sunny Lemon Bars
- 1/2 lb. unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs at room temperature
- 3 cups fine granulated sugar (Fine is just my preference, regular granulated sugar works too)
- 1 cup lemon juice freshly juiced** about 5 to 7 lemons depending on their size
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar, sifted for light dusting
- Lemon rinds for garnish (optional)
** If you do not own a hand juicer, a very cool and easy way to juice your lemons is to microwave each lemon 10 to 15 seconds, cut in half and hold the lemon in your palm with the cut side facing upwards. Squeeze your lemons over a measuring cup or bowl. Usually this will save you from picking out lemon seeds from your juice, but if not, just pluck them out with a fork. Pop the newly squeezed lemon juice in the refrigerator to cool. Microwaving the juice loosens the juice from the pulp and yields more juice. BE CERTAIN, that the juice is cooled before you add it to your egg mixture! We need no scrambled eggs in our lemon bars! :)
Preheat your oven to 350° degrees.
- Cream together 1/2 pound of unsalted butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- When the mixture is crumbly press into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Press dough out evenly so that it is evenly spread throughout the pan. * A great tip for pressing the dough evenly without sticking to your fingers, is to place a piece of plastic wrap over the dough once it is pressed over the surface. Then you can easily press the dough evenly without mess. Peel the plastic wrap off once you are done.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, and remove from the oven.
- While your crust is baking mix together (without beating) your 6 eggs, 3 cups granulated sugar, 1 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice, 1 cup flour, vanilla, and salt. Mix until the filling is uniform in texture, and pour over your baked crust.
- Bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes.
- Allow this to cool to room temperature before dusting with powdered sugar. Sifted Powdered sugar dusts best.
A couple of final notes; Because these delicious bite of lemony goodness are made with eggs, refrigerate your lemon bars when not being served.
Above you will see a picture of a lemon bar garnished. This is easy-peasy. A very pretty garnish for serving is to either using a vegetable peeler or a zester and lightly peel short curls of the lemon rind (the zest) off your juiced lemons. Once you are finished, roll the zest curls in granulated sugar. They are so pretty and look so fancy schmancy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe!