Chocolate for breakfast?
BEST idea ever!!
These muffins are rich and moist, and pure chocolate magic, both in color and flavor. Warm from the oven, incredible as is, spread with raspberry or blackberry jam; these are a totally decadent way to greet the day.
In my ingredient list, I’ve linked to some incredible products that will change your baking from great to heavenly! These brands are some of my favorites and I am definitely not being paid to say that. However, I will say, if you are building your baking pantry, I would definitely start with the Madagascar Bourbon Mexican Vanilla Extract and the Wilton Sparkling White Sugars. The sugars are gorgeous, and this particular Vanilla Extract is a very unique vanilla that adds a very complex flavor, especially where chocolate is involved.
- 2/3 cups of cocoa powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon expresso powder, optional
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted; or 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Sparkling sugars or sifted powdered sugar, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a standard muffin pan with paper inserts or silicone muffin cups, and grease the cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder, espresso powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a large measuring cup or medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and vinegar.
- Add the wet ingredients, along with the melted butter, to the dry ingredients, stirring to blend; there’s no need to beat these muffins, just make sure everything is well-combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan; the cups will be heaped with batter, and the muffin will bake into a “mushroom” shape. Sprinkle with pearl sugar, if desired.
- Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, and after 5 minutes remove them from the pan, allowing them to cool for about 15 minutes on a rack before peeling off the muffin papers or silicone cups.
- Eat ALL of them before your kids wake up to find them. ;)
Enjoy Your Day!