Yep, I said “trick” and I feel absolutely no guilt for saying nor doing it. What they don’t know won’t hurt them, is incredibly true in this case.
I’ve got some pretty picky eaters in my house and the lengths I go to sneak healthier options into all of my cooking and baking knows no bounds.
This is just an easy-peasy deliciously moist muffin, with a wonderful top crust that everyone will love, especially your kids!
Applesauce Oat Muffins
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 11/2 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Multi-colored Sprinkles/Jimmies
- In a large bowl combine the first seven ingredient, In another bowl. combine the applesauce, milk, oil and egg white. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill muffin cups lined with cupcake liners ( If you have colorful ones on hand this also adds to the “Trick”) or if you do not have cupcake liners, coat your muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Combine topping ingredients: sprinkle over batter.
- Now for the “Trick” ( I cannot believe I didn’t think of this earlier.) Take your sprinkles, preferably jimmies they hold their form during the baking process. Sprinkle liberally over the topping ingredients before baking. Yep, I said before baking. Those babies will bake in and look so appealing to your kids. I mean seriously, what kids don’t like sprinkles? :)
- Bake at 400° for 15 to 18 minutes. Make sure you do the toothpick test, by inserting a toothpick into a muffin and seeing that it comes out clean.
- Cool in your muffin pan for a few minutes, then remove them to a wire cooling rack.
Your yield here is 8 to 10 muffins, so you might want to double your batch. If not, just be sure to fill any empty muffin cups half full with water to prevent muffins near those empty cups from overbrowning.
Honestly these are delicious and so moist, you’ll make these more than once. Now if could only trick them and find a way to put sprinkles on broccoli.