Today is another huge day for Kansas City! After years of work and planning, Kansas City finally has a streetcar! The streetcar will run a 2-mile starter route from the River Market to Union Station. Rides will be free and there will be 16 stops along the 2-mile route. Each streetcar can carry a maximum of 150 people and the cost is…wait for it…. FREE!
The entire trip from Third and Grand in the beautiful River Market area to Pershing and Main at Union Station will take 13 ½ minutes, allocating 15 seconds per stop. No more parking, finding your car, getting back in your car, driving, rinse repeat.
With the addition of the streetcar, I am personally so jazzed that my beloved Spring & Summer ritual of Saturday morning trips to the Farmers Market in the beautiful River Market area will now also allow me to hop on our new streetcar and head to the Power & Light district for lunch at one of my many favorite spots! This is beyond fantastic! As far as time saving navigation to and from one fabulous area of our beautiful city to another, there are indeed, no worries.
The KC Streetcar Stops & Destinations are:
- Union Station (Pershing & Main)
- Kauffman Center (16th & Main)
- Power & Light (14th & Main)
- Metro Center (12th & Main)
- Library (9th & Main)
- North Loop (7th & Main)
- City Market (5th & Walnut)
- River Market North (3rd & Grand)
- River Market West (4th & Delaware)
The KC Streetcar opening weekend is all about the Celebration! The addition of our streetcars will not only add more to our rich history, it will fit fabulously with the cultural vibe of Kansas City. Both Friday and Saturday everyone is invited to celebrate and enjoy the carnival rides including a Ferris wheel! Just mention a Ferris wheel and I turn into a 5 year old! There will be tons of entertainment including live music featuring various artists including the KC based band the Zero’s, indoor and outdoor movies and performances, Kansas City restaurant block parties and dining specials, shopping, arts organizations, galleries, studios and a wide variety of local businesses featuring local, regional and national artists and more!
Yet another exciting event in Kansas City history, that reaffirms everything I always boast to people that have never visited. Kansas City is truly a dazzling destination and an absolutely exciting place to live!
For a detailed list and information for the All of the festivities this weekend’s Kansas City Streetcar Celebration visit http://kcstreetcar.org/grand-opening-block-party/activities/ <—Seriously, check out this list!
Questions? Click a link!
- Can I park on the streetcar route?
- How wide are the parking spaces along the streetcar route?
- When will the KC Streetcar be open?
- How much does it cost to ride the streetcar?
- Can I bring my dog (or animal) onto the streetcar?
- How fast will the Streetcar travel?
- Can I bring my bicycle on the streetcar?
- What are the KC Streetcar hours of operation?
- What is a streetcar?
- How will the KC Downtown Streetcar work with the current bus system?
- How many streetcars are there?
- How big is a KC Streetcar?
- What is the capacity of the KC Streetcar?
- How many doors are on the KC Streetcar?
- Does the KC Streetcar have Wi-Fi access?
- How do I know what stop I am at?
- How loud is the streetcar?
- How long is the downtown streetcar route?
- How many streetcar stops are there?
- Why are the KC Streetcars numbered 801-804?
- Will traffic slow down on Main Street?
- Will the streetcar receive priority signal coordination on Main Street?
- Are there cameras on the KC Streetcar?
- Can I continuously ride the KC Streetcar?
- Is there security on the KC Streetcar?
- Can I park on the streetcar route?
- How late will the streetcar run?
- What if I don’t want to ride the KC Streetcar and just look at it?
- Do I have to get off the streetcar during opening weekend?
- Can I bring my bicycle or dog on the streetcar?
- Is the streetcar free to ride?
- I have so many questions about the KC Streetcar, what am I forgetting?
I am so excited about this place I call home!
Enjoy your day!